An old-style flour mill gets a centrifugal screener to modernize and improve its flour screening operation.
More than 400 years ago, in what is now Powys County, Wales, a flour mill was built on the banks of a spring-fed pond to turn wheat into flour and bran. When the mill first started operating in 1575, falling water was used to turn a waterwheel that provided power to the millstones that ground the wheat and the wooden screeners (called dressers) that separated the flour from the bran. Throughout the years since, the mill's storage, material handling, and packaging equipment was updated as new technology became available, and by 2000, most of the mill’s operation had been modernized, with the exception of two sets of traditional millstones and two old-style dressers.